Pro’s and Con’s to Running a Business from Home
There are several reasons why you might want to run a business from your home. They include:
- Flexible hours
- Improved home/life balance
- Less travelling time and costs
- Reduced start-up and running costs
The advantages should be weighed against the disadvantages of having your business in your home. These include:
- Difficulty in separating work and home life
- Distractions in the home that take you away from work
- Less face-to-face contact with customers, suppliers, and colleagues
- Perceived lack of a professional image
If you want to start a business in your home, it is important to make sure that it is legal to do so. If you are a homeowner, check whether there is a clause in your mortgage agreement restricting the use of your home for business activities. If you have a restriction you will need to discuss this with your mortgage provider and ask whether the terms of the agreement can change. If they agree to change the terms, make sure you get this in writing.
If you are a tenant of a private landlord, council, or housing association, you have to seek permission from your landlord before you can start a business in your home.